How to Go Plastic Free
2.Buy eco-friendly merchandise
When you buy products from Plastic Free Cambodia, you support our work and the planet! Products are available in Siem Reap, Battambang, Phnom Penh and Kampot.
Ethically made tshirts and totes! Made and printed in Siem Reap by local projects.
Stainless steel drink bottles – stainless steel is safer to drink from than plastic or aluminium, the only better option is glass! These bottles are designed for drinking water, don’t put boiling water inside because of the plastic elements.
Where can you find these items?
3. Where can you recycle?
Plastic bottles, cans and cardboard
Separate your waste and sell or give your plastic waste, cans and cardboard to waste pickers.
Old newspapers and magazines
Donate your old newspapers and magazines to Friends ‘N’ stuff, they make jewelry and fun products with them!
Separate your waste and give your used plastic bags to Funky Junk Recycled in Phnom Penh, they knit lots of cool stuff with them! If you’re in Siem Reap you can donate your used plastic bags to ReHash Trash, they also up-cycle our old plastic bags into new items!
You can start a compost at home! Start with a box, put in all the waste from your veggies and fruit, what we call the “green stuff”. Then, add other items, like compostable cardboard, rice husk or any other “brown stuff” like old flowers and dead leaves from trees and plants. You can find more details on how to do it here or here.
If you’re in Phnom Penh you can donate your wine bottles to Farm to Table.
The Anana computer store in Phnom Penh has a recycling bin for batteries!
Tired of carrying heavy 20L bottles of water? Easy to use water filters are available in lots of places for around $20. In Siem Reap go to the Preah Vihear Pharmacy (various locations), for the best price in Phnom Penh, Central Market or Russian Market.
PFC is a small and dynamic team, though we are often in need of professional expertise and support. Our preferred minimum commitment is 3 months. Longer term volunteer and internship enquiries are also very welcome.
Please enquire if you have skills in administration, accounting, graphic design, event management, fundraising, sales, training, photography and videography and research.
You need to be:
- 18+ years old
- committed to adopting a plastic-free or zero-waste lifestyle
- foreign volunteers: need to be flexible, adaptable and willing to work hard. Things operate in a different style and pace in Cambodia to many other countries. You will require a work permit to volunteer with us.
How to apply:
Current positions advertised:
How does your donation help?
- When you give $10, you offer a reusable bottle to a student.
- When you give $20, you offer a pack of reusable items to a student (one reusable bag, one reusable bottle, one food container).
- When you give $75, you contribute towards a 2 hours workshop to a public school (target = 100 students).
- When you give $100, you contribute towards a day of courses to a public school (target = 100 students).